posted to rec.boats.building
Glenn Ashmore Glenn Ashmore is offline

Default anyone used PEX tubing for boat plumbing?

"RW Salnick" wrote

When was the Quest stuff invented? My 1978 Downeast 45 is plumbed with
it...

Modular plastic piping systems first came out in the mid '70s. It has had a
rather checkered past. We started using it in '79 in our apartments because
copper was so expensive it disappeared every time a unit went vacant. The
first installations caused a lot of problems. Part of the problem was
improper assembly by plumbers more familiar with sweat jointing copper.
Then there was the infamous problem with polybutylene tubing that was to
soft to hold the fitting clamps. The early Qest pipe was polybutylene and
there were a couple of class action lawsuits about it. As long as the
pressure doesn't get to high it is fine but I would not leave it connected
to shore water when you are off the boat. I think Qest uses cross linked
polyethylene tubing and polybutylene fittings now.

Polybutylene piping in the US has been replaced with PEX cross linked
polyethylene. It holds up much better and the fittings have gotten a lot
more reliable. There are 3 types of connectors: push-on, compression and
clamp rings. The clamp rings are cheaper and more permanent but the crimp
tools run about $150. Push-ons are easier to install than compression but I
suspect that the compression fittings are more reliable.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com