Don W Don W is offline

Default Experience with SEI Sterndrive, was Ad: Sterndrive Engineering...

Ernest Scribbler wrote:
"Larry" expounded lugubriously:

WHOA! WHOA! W-H-O-A!!!
... we're never going to be buying ANYTHING from a
liar and scoundrel like YOU and YOUR COMPANY!

Did someone drop an SEI drive on your head as a

child?

I think Larry was just hammering them for posting
an ad in a newsgroup that is not for advertising.
The proper place for the post would have been
rec.boats.marketplace

BTW, since they brought their drives and warranty
to the attention of the newsgroup, I had a
mechanic install an SEI drive on my 1986 Maxum
last year. The drive looked well made and had a
very good finish on it, but it had serious gear
noise right out of the box. The mechanic and
another sterndrive mechanic that I had look at it
thought that it had been incorrectly shimmed at
the factory.

We contacted the factory and they said to run it
for ten hours, and if it was still making the
noise they would warranty the drive, although we
would have to pay for the removal and
re-installation (~$600).

We took the boat on a long trip up the lake with
the idea of putting the hours on it, and
unfortunately hit a submerged rock with the lower
unit on the way back. Obviously, that voided the
warranty. The funny thing was that the SEI drive
sounded better with the crushed torpedo, and water
mixed in the oil than it ever did before the
strike. That lends some credence to the idea that
the drive was incorrectly setup at the factory,
because the strike probably pushed the gears
closer together.

I then bought a factory new Mercruiser outdrive to
put on the boat, put it on myself, and had no more
trouble with the outdrive.

I think that SEI makes a good product, and hope
that they are successful with it, but in checking
around found that a lot of people were having
trouble with the "gear noise" problem about that
time. They may have found and fixed the problem
by now.

Don W.