Gary Warner

Default Is it my battery or alternator that let me down?

"Ree-Yees" wrote in message
How many CCA do I need on a battery for a boat my size?

I don't know the exact answer. But 575 should be enough.

Note you may also hear of Marine Cranking Amps or Warm Cranking Amps. These
two
terms are the same as each other. Like CCA they are a measure of how many
amps the
batter can deliver over a short period of time. Only difference is CCA is at
a cold temperature
(as might be found when starting your car) and MCA or WCA is at a higher
temperature
as is more usual with a boat. But CCA is still an easier standard to stick
to for deciding.

I didnt think about the voltmeter on the dash but I could defintily

install one...

Volt meter is a great tool. A Handheld one is hand in addition. You can use
the hand
held one AT the altenator to see what is it putting out. You can use it AT
the battery
when the engine is running to be sure it is getting a charging voltage (13.5
volts). And
you can use it to test wires and current anywhere.

Batteries, when charged, maintain a "surface charge" that slowly dissipates.
I think for
full disipation is something like 12 or 24 hours. But usualy if you charge a
batter and
then let it set for even an hour or two, you'll get a pretty close reading.

Here is one FAQ that talkes about Marine, Deep Cell, CCA, MCA, etc.
Google on "Battery FAQ" or "Car Battery FAQ" and you'll get tons
of good info:
http://www.exide.co.nz/faqs/marine.htm

Good Luck