posted to rec.boats.building
Roger Long Roger Long is offline

Default Plan copyright infringment

"Alex"

Roger -- I am curious. Other than contract language in a sales
agreement,

That's what I said, "other than contract language in a sales
agreement". This is virtually unheard of and I can think of a case.
For a very special boat that the architect wanted to be sure exactly
reflected his intent, a plans buyer could be asked to sign a separate
document binding him to make no unapproved changes. Without that, the
builder can do anything he wants.

I have heard of cases where the designer insisted that his name be
removed from the design for purposed of sales because it was so

If you get a set of plans from your buddy who built a boat, just
changing a few, or even a lot of, things does not relieve you of the
obligation to pay the designer for their use.

--

Roger Long