Gould 0738

Default Is it my battery or alternator that let me down?

I just got the boat a month or so ago and the guy said the battery was a
couple years old. I took it out and it is a deep cycle battery with 575CCA.
I was reading online and I guess this isnt even the right kind of battery to

If you're only going to hve one battery, it should be a deep cycle.

There is nothing wrong with starting a boat with a deep cycle battery, as long
as it has a sufficent cold crank rating to do the job. It doesn't hurt the
battery. There is a problem with using a starting battery for running a lot of
accessories with the engine off. The starting battery has thin plates that
break up more quickly during recharge.