Gary Warner

Default Is it my battery or alternator that let me down?

"Ree-Yees" wrote in message

Will I be able to put a starter battery and this deepcycle battery in

there
with some kind of a switch and then switch to the deep cycle when the boat
is off?

--C

You didn't say the size of the boat but I'm assuming it's just a
day runabout / under 25 feet. In this case I suggest two "dual-
purpose" batteries. These batteries are good both for starting
the boat and for running small amounts of equipment for
relativley short periods of time. (Such as a couple of lights
and the radio while your setting still for an hour).

The "deep cell" will work for that too. But it's really more for
taking lots of charge and then running more load for more time.
(Like on a big boat that is setting with no engine running for
hours and running bigger/more electrical loads.)

The two dual-purpose gives you....well lets put it this way: One
dual-purpose would do you OK. It would be fine both for starting
the boat and for storing and delivering a charge for an hour or two
while you sat someplace. Having the second dual-purpose is
a backup.

Yes, then you get an A/B/Both/OFF switch. There are a few ways to
rig these up and a few ways to use them. The BASIC idea is that
you charge up both batteries while running the engine but then switch
to just one battery while setting still. That way if you accidentially
discharge the entire battery you can still switch to the other one to
restart the boat.

I also suggest carrying one of those portable battery things. Some of
them have a light, a 12 volt socket, maybe even a small inverter. But
the point is it gives you yet another source to use if the batteries go
dead to help start the boat.

As for hooking up the A/B switch, ask again when you get to that point
and you'll get lots of information about how to hook it up and what
equipment to use.