posted to rec.boats.electronics
Alec Alec is offline

Default Bennett trim tabs- update

Thanks for the ideas.

I have spoken to the very helpful UK agents.

The trimindicator uses an alternative upper hinge on the hydraulic cylinder.
The hinge is compatible with both older and more modern trimindicator
hardware and displays

The wire is permanently wired in, so if there is a failure replacement of
the upper hinge is needed.

The cost is £19 (35$).

It is not a big job if you can get at it and also get to the inside of the
transom.

Alec

"Alec" wrote in message
I have Bennett trim tabs on my boat, fitted with trimindicators.

The port indicator has ceased to indicate showing full down at all times,
this happened suddenly with no apparent warning. One day in the Seine it
worked and the next in the Bay de Seine it did not.

I have read the advice on the Bennett site and determined that the sensor
appears to be at fault, that is the two red wires appear to be open
circuit. Plugging the starboard sensor into the port socket confirms that
the indicator circuitry works OK.

I cannot easily get to the tabs whilst the boat is in the water. How does
the indicator sensor work? Can low hydraulic fluid level affect the
operation? How does the sensor wire get into the hydraulic ram?(plug and
socket?)

The tabs appear to work OK.

Alec