posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats
Bill Kearney Bill Kearney is offline

Default Raster vs Vector (Was Electronic Charting)

Logically that should be the case. The examples that I have seem in demo
machines don't have much of the detail I am used to seeing to begin with,
so the zooming effect doesn't matter --- the details ain't there.

Get a demo with one of the better charting chips actually loaded. The
default chart data is pretty weak in most chartplotters. Mainly because
there's limited memory in them and with worldwide marketability it'd be
rather impractical to install any (as in, nothing's 'local' when you're
talking worldwide).

For me the speed with which I can zoom in/out while ALSO getting better
clarity makes vector charts superior. But this only when underway. I like
using raster charts for planning but they're too slow to pan around and
don't have close enough detail for the places I usually frequent.

This is one of those interesting areas that make vector a selling point
for some, but not me. Having done paper charts (read north up) for so
long, it is natural for me. I have tied using my Maptech in course up and
found it disorienting

Fortunately North-up orientation is selectable regardless of chart style.

I had high brightness OceanPc displays in a pilot house environment, so
this was not a problem. It will be an issue in the new boat: no pilot
house.

Then going with an actual marine chartplotter will probably be better. If
not just for the display brightness but also for the purpose-intended
waterproof keys. No fiddling around with remembering what Function keys are
supposed to be doing...

While all of this has been available in the PC / Raster chart arena,
certainly not a cost that compares well with the integrated solutions
available with vector charts. This is a great feature and I look forward
to playing with it. I suspect this really requires the use of a gyro
compass to get a sufficiently stabilized overlay. I had a gyro on my last
boat and it made a big difference in ARPA accuracy.

Hmmm, dunno. I don't have my autopilot running most of the time (powered
off) and the MARPA features work great. And, iirc, there's not a gyro in
this one anyway. But then again I'm in a powerboat so gyro sensing is
probably less important.

I hope I have that whine out of my system so I can just get on with it...

Heh.