DSK

Default Comments wanted on Oldtown Pack solo canoe

H Hornblower wrote:
This will be mostly for lake use. I'm intrigued with the idea of
putting it in the back of my truck as I don't have roof racks
anymore. The light weight is attractive too as I'm getting older. I
have an old wood one that must weigh 150 lbs after it's been in the
water a while. I'm concerned that the short length will not track
very well and that sitting up one the seat will be unstable...I weigh
225.

If you get a flat water canoe, tracking should't be a problem. The Old
Town web site does not give specifics on hull shape, but you can see
which ones have more beam, more freeboard, etc etc. A 14 footer is going
to be enough faster to worth considering IMHO (it'll be less tiring
going shorter distances too) and less worry about tracking. Harder to
fit in the back of a pickup, though.

From your mention of 33#, I guess you're talking about the Pack canoe,
which is considerably narrower with less freeboard than the Katahdin or
Stillwater. If you're worried about stability & weight carrying, it'd be
worth considering one of the other boats even if it's heavier, more
$$, and harder to fit in the truck... no point in spending your money on
something that won't do the job.

I'd also recommend Bill Mason... introduced to me as the Zen master of
canoing. We bought one of his videos and found it both entertaining and
enlightening.

Fair Skies
Doug King