posted to rec.boats.building
P.C. Ford P.C. Ford is offline

Default Rebuilding 60 yr.old ceder runabout:

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 08:41:08 -0500, "sal" wrote:

Hello boat people. I am trying to rebuild an old cedar lapstrake boat . It
is 16' L x 5',2" W withan small forward deck. I am an novice at this and
would like some
advice please. Some of the hull planks 3/8" cedar have longitudinal cracks
and I would like to fill them with some type of compound not sure what to
use. I understand lapstrake design are hard to rebuild as covering with
cloth and epoxy are not recommended.

I am a professional boatwright. My specialty is runabouts.

Put boat in water, let it sink, and see if crack goes away. I
probably will.