DSK

Default Comments wanted on Oldtown Pack solo canoe

H Hornblower wrote:
12' royalex 33lb. solo canoe....I'm thinking of a purchase and would
appreciate comments from those familiar with this or other short,
light solo or double ender canoes.

What are you intending to do with the canoe? The hull shape makes the
biggest difference in how the boat behaves. Boats for white water have a
lot of rocker, so the ends won't dig in when you're trying to turn. But
they are quite slow paddling in still water. Boats for still water are
more straight along the keel, looking at it from the side (profile
rocker), but the fast ones are very round in cross-section across the
bottom. This makes them tippy.

Some years ago after studying forty or fifty canoes designs available, I
chose a Wenonah solo+ flat water canoe, it is almost straight in profile
(3" rocker IIRC) and slightly arced across the bottom. It is a lot of
fun and suits my wife & I very well for paddling on lakes and slow
rivers. I have also taken it in mild white water but that's really not
what it's for. We have been done several wildlife excursions with other
canoes and it is very easy to paddle.

Royalex is heavy, but it's great stuff for a canoe that will be in white
water or handled roughly. The stuff is indestructible.

Fair Skies
Doug King