posted to rec.boats.electronics
Queeg Queeg is offline

Default AIS Receiver Range Record?

Paul wrote:
I just received a SR162 dual-channel AIS receiver, which I will be using on
my sailboat -- the old single-channel SR161 will end up at home.

Paul - I am assuming that the SR162 and SR161 have the same range, and
that either would have made the same long distance discovery. Is this
right? Or does the dual channel have a better chance of seeing
something far away?

Do you notice much difference in the speed of target information
acquisition between the two? Is the SR162 noticeably faster? My SR161
picks up targets and shows their speed quickly, but can take 5 or 10
minutes to fill in the name, size, destination, etc.

Thanks,

Gary