Chuck Gould Chuck Gould is offline

Default Birth and death at the Boat Show

Charlie Morgan wrote:
On 14 Sep 2006 23:36:00 -0700, "Chuck Gould"
wrote:

Birth and Death at the Boats Afloat Show

With heart uplifted and a beaming smile I pressed on toward the Boat
Show. Only a few steps beyond the canoe building project, I encountered
an old friend in wretched condition. My heart sank. The 1897 Schooner,
"Wawona", has never looked as dismal as in these September days
where crisp copper shadows fall long (and darkness, early). Her masts
were amputated not so long ago "She doesn't have the strength to
carry them," they said, "and they could topple and injure or kill a
passerby." So sadly but wisely she was dismasted.

Now it's almost as if the loss of her proud spars has stripped her of
a will to hang on to any shred of life at all. She has been closed to
the public. Her starboard planks are reduced to mouldering punk, and
her stern is crumbling. The rot has outraced the determined volunteers
and limited resources that have been devoted to saving her. Time claims
all things, and it is clawing at the planks and frames of "Wawona."
To save her now, if it could be done at all, might easily cost more
than building her again from scratch. Shaking my head and suppressing
an urge to shed a tear, I suddenly realized that the ramshackle
collection of diseased timbers and rusted fasteners wasn't the
"Wawona" anymore.

Last December there was a summit conference on what to do with the
Wawona. Here is the final 56 page report:

http://www.nwseaport.org/Wawona_Final_Report.pdf

CWM

Thanks for posting that. The survey included with that report sadly
confirms what is only all too obvious to the casual observer. It looks
like the decision reached was to make some attempts to retard
additional decay while trying to develop a final plan for
the long range future of the vessel, (and of paramount importance-
identify somebody willing to put up the many, many millions nearly any
of the identified options will require).

After reading the report, I remain in favor of some option granting her
a death with dignity. I was intrigued by the "shipwreck" option the
report says was used for some old ships back in the 1930's in New
England. Those boats were towed to a remote island and scuttled, and
were highly photographed attractions during the years it took them to
be entirely reclaimed by the sea. Probably too many environmental
concerns, etc, to do such a thing today.

One of the options discussed was sinking her to provide an attraction
for scuba divers.
If scuttled in salt water (she's all but scuttled now), she would hold
together longer than under any other scenario except a total
restoration.