posted to rec.boats.electronics
[email protected] mbnelson@europa.com is offline

Default AIS Receiver Range Record?

Larry, I have to disagree. Please see the the following pdf file
[http://www.uscg.mil/d13/units/vts/psvts.html] and notice the bouy in
the diagram acting as a repeater. AIS is good for everyone whether in
Europe, the Americas or anywhere else. I'm Looking forward to having
Galileo as a positioning option in the comming years, but right now i'm
sure they are using GPS

Larry wrote:
wrote in news:1158280930.156369.191480
@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Paul, this is very impressive. Is there a chance noaa is repeating
traffic from a bouy in your area?

-Mark

NO bouy has, or ever will have, an AIS system in it. There MAY be an AIS
repeater in his area, but it will be on a real tower, not a bouy. To mark
the bouy's position, a shore station may send the bouy's information, which
AIS is designed to do but, of course as usual, America is 20 years behind
Europe in implementing everything, any more.

To make a bouy show up on your AIS, all the shore station does is transmit
its data. The position of the actual transmitter has no bearing,
whatsoever, on where anything shows up, like a radar return does. It's
just DATA...even bad data as someone reported a ship traveling overland the
other day...miles from its position.

Caveat Emptor

--
There's amazing intelligence in the Universe.
You can tell because none of them ever called Earth.