posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring
Don Freeman Don Freeman is offline

Default Weight ballast for HV boats; Was: 17 vs 19 , Lake Huron

"Michael Daly" wrote in message
Don Freeman wrote:

But I was wondering what people do to compensate for that when they don't
really need any gear, such as just an exercise paddle.

If you don't want to carry the weight around, taking empty bottles and
filling them with water at the launch makes for a reasonable ballast.
It's a good idea to have something to hold them in place in the kayak so
they don't shift under way.

I've got a large dry bag that would work perfectly (I bought it back before
I discovered that several small bags were better then one big one), it
shouldn't shift around too much but it can be easily secured (I figure right
behind the rear bulkhead would be best) if it does. Thanks for the idea.

-Don