posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring
Michael Daly Michael Daly is offline

Default Weight ballast for HV boats; Was: 17 vs 19 , Lake Huron

Don Freeman wrote:

But I was wondering what people do to compensate for that when they don't
really need any gear, such as just an exercise paddle.

I carry so much junk on a day paddle (1st aid kit, lunch, odds and ends) that I
have just enough ballast to make a difference. Since I keep all my basic
paddling gear in a mesh bag, just throwing that in adds several pounds.

A friend has glued some straps (D rings and webbing with side-release buckles)
to hold down some ballast. He uses a sand filled bottle (old four liter
windshield washer fluid) as ballast. He finds that in the day hatch is just right.

If you don't want to carry the weight around, taking empty bottles and filling
them with water at the launch makes for a reasonable ballast. It's a good idea
to have something to hold them in place in the kayak so they don't shift under way.

Mike