posted to rec.boats.paddle.whitewater
Wilko Wilko is offline

Default Source For Oversized Helmets

Jeff Rice wrote:
I have a BIG head. At least a size 8 (US), and a "long oval" to boot!
Needless to say, when I've made rafting trips, it's always a pain to try to
find one of the outfitter's helmets that will even come close to fitting.

Are there any helmet manufacturers that carry a line for my problem? Google
searches are practically fruitless, and salesmen at outdoor centers are
useless.

Any ideas? And by the way, I've already heard all the jokes!

Jeff, size 8 doesn't help me (being European) get an idea of the size,
but I've got a 25" circumference head and the Grateful Heads "Dropzone"
helmet fit me nicely. If your head is a lot longer than it is wide, it
will be hard.

One of my Slovenian paddling buddies has a head shaped extremely like
that, and he bought a standard composite helmet, cut it in half and
added an extra part in the middle to make it longer (front to back). NB:
That's a lot of work!

If you do fall outside of normal sizes, maybe you can contact a helmet
manufacturer (there are several of them in the U.S., (Grateful heads and
Shred Ready come to mind) and ask if they can make one to size for you?

--
Wilko van den Bergh wilkoa t)dse(d o tnl
Eindhoven The Netherlands Europe