Roger Long Roger Long is offline

Default Back Stay Adjuster - Attention Roger

Actually, I do that. On windy days, I take a big swig, a small one on
light days, and in between. I just set it for the general conditions
and don't think much about it underway.

What I would really like to do is pull some more of the forward draft
out of my elderly main but there's no way it's going to do that. By
sweating everything, I can just get the luff so it is a little soft
but (usually) not backwinding. OTOH that forward draft makes the main
more effective when sailing without the jib. Although I do that
infrequently, it helps me rationalize not buying another one

I was startled the other day to see the huge difference in windward
performance between whe working jib and 130% genoa going to windward
in winds near reefing force. The main is beautifully shaped after the
first reef and that combination is worth half a knot to a knot over
the roller sail. As soon as I ease the sheets however, the lack of
the rocket like reach I'm used to is pretty disappointing.

--

Roger Long