Larry Larry is offline

Default analog bag phone

Wayne.B wrote in
:

Get over it Larry, nothing will *ever* sound as good as a Collins
KWS-1 on 75 meter AM phone either, but those days are pretty much gone
also.

Times change, we change along with them.

Obviously, you've never tried to wedge yourself into 75M AM on 3895...KWS
or no KWS. Of course, that rig would be "underpowered" on that
frequency...(c; Those boys are in broadcasting.

I'm all spoiled, now. I just got offline with a friend in Okinawa on
Skype. Life IS different, now. We're no longer slaves to Mother Bell
and the Telecoms. I change along with them, too.

75M AM was alive and well last time I listened to the monologgers, 40M,
too, in the day.

Change came quite natural to me. I was the first ASCII teletype station
in 4-land, on the air 15 seconds before it was legal at midnight just for
those braggin' rights. We had someone calling CQ ASCII in every call
district. Listen above 14.100 to the ASCII station, now on Packet.
You'll find them from 14.100 to 14.125 Mhz. I'm one of the reasons why,
much to the dismay of our Canadian friends who mistakenly thought no US
station would ever try to operate in the "Canadian Phone Band". They
were wrong, of course, and their jamming went on for years attempting to
run us off, which only hardened our position. You'll now find Canadians
fully integrated into the fun on ASCII/Packet above 14.100 Mhz. I was
there at its inception as WB4THE, at the time. I was also early on SSTV,
but soon lost interest as all ham equipment looks, basically, alike and
hams, as a group are BUTT UGLY. Go to any hamfest and see for yourself.

The old analog bagphone still has a place in emergency comms as long as
the towers are on the air. I won't travel without one.

AMPS is "new" compared to my battery-hoggin' old IMTS Carphone with the
rotary dial under the dash and the beast in the trunk. Someone uploaded
some old Broderick Crawford cop shows and early Perry Mason TV shows to
alt.binaries old time TV groups not long ago. Under the dash was my same
Carphones, used in the show. Ahh...those WERE the days!

--
There's amazing intelligence in the Universe.
You can tell because none of them ever called Earth.