Matt O'Toole Matt O'Toole is offline

Default Kettle to boil water

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 17:24:36 +0000, Brian Whatcott wrote:

On 28 Aug 2006 21:02:07 -0700, "Mark" wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Get a Revere Ware, S/S teakettle with a copper bottom.

Throw in a handful of glass marbles, pea gravel, etc, which will
prevent calcium deposits from forming when the water boils and
maintain the heat transfer characteristics.

I'll second that, mine's 11 years old. Peeked in it and saw no
deposits, but then I don't use hard water to make coffee!

I'll third that! It's the best kettle design ever, with one-hand
operation. Unfortunately it's becoming hard to find.

I can't remember if the copper bottom stretches through to the inside of
the bottom - I think not.
IF it does however, it is better to let the copper attract some cover,
not keep it bright.

AFAIK it's all stainless steel, with copper cladding/plating on the
bottom.

Matt O.