posted to rec.boats.building
mike mike is offline

Default What prop size for my narrowboat?

"Adrian Smith" wrote in
.uk:

What prop size for my narrowboat?

Hull: 70ft long 6ft 10 inches wide.
Weight: 10 tons
Engine: 48 BHP at 2800 (54BHP at 3000)

There is 11 inches between the centre of the shaft and the counter

I currently have a prop with an 18 inch dia and 13 inch pitch. However
the engine never seems to struggle to turn the prop even when slamming
in reverse from full forwards.

Adrian Smith

Is this geared?

FWIW a while back my Father used to have a 62'. We refitted with a Beta
43, 2:1 gearing. With help from Crowther marine we ended up using a
19x12. We had a bit over 12" counter clearance however. Give crowther
marine a call, I think they where in oldham..