Larry Larry is offline

Default analog bag phone

"Mark" wrote in news:1157696759.948040.242390
@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

I'm saddened to hear the AMPS service is going to be discontinued

Mark, have you noticed a new carrier tactic of NOT answering calls from the
old AMPS phones to 611 or *611? Both AMPS carriers in Charleston, Verizon
and Alltel no longer answer the 611 calls. When I dial 611 from any of the
AMPS bagphones in my various vehicles, it connects, then simply disconnects
on the first ring.

I suppose it has to do with people calling them to get them to put the old
girls back on their systems, and their not wanting to have to answer such
calls....so they simply refuse to answer the phones and hang up on them.

Pity. You're right about QUALITY...None of the little toyphones will ever
sound anywhere near as good as the narrowband FM radios in a trusty old
Motorola bagphone or carphone. Those days seem over.

--
There's amazing intelligence in the Universe.
You can tell because none of them ever called Earth.