Bruce in Alaska Bruce  in Alaska is offline

Default analog bag phone

In article ,
Spammy Spamson wrote:

Telus and Bel in Canada both plan to drop analog service within the
next 12 months. A bag phone as ANY cell phone in Canada will connect
to 911 whether there is a contract on that phone or not.

Modems are available for 3 watt bag phones. They are expensive and
limited to 9600 baud.

I have a bag phone and have no idea what I will replace it with. Based
on my experience with having guests on board with those cute 'lil do
all cell phones (they do all except pick up a signal) I don't think I
will be happy with anything that is on the market today.

Just *try* to find "power output" in the "specs" of a new cell phone.
The sales people can show you how to surf the net (while in a mall),
and God knows how handy THAT is while on a boat).... but they can't
tell you which model packs the most punch.

If there is an alternative... pls lemme know eh?

"Spammy"

(keeps the bots at bay)

There are 3 Watt Digital 800 Mhz Cellphones around if you know where
to look for them. We use them a lot up here in Alaska for RemoteSite
Cabin Comms, as none of the AMPS Bag Phones are allowed to be Activated
on our networks anymore. Other options are also available, like Booster
Amps for DualBand and TriBand Cell/PCS phones that have External Antenna
Connections, and are capable of 3 watts on each band. There are also
Base Cradles that allow Handheld Cellphones to be used with RJ11 Devices
as if they were wired network devices. Fax Machines, Modems, Answering
Machines, Cordless Phones, ect. You just have to look around a bit more
than going to RadioShack and talking to a SalesDroid. I have a Nokia
Handheld, connected to a BaseCradle that feeds one of my local PBX's
LoopStart FXS Outside Line inputs, and it has a Booster Amp driving
a 10db Panel antenna up on the roof, that connects to my CellTower
16 miles away. I get AllBars, and DigitalD on the system. This is my
backup Phoneline when the Microwave System that brings in our 2ea. T1
Lines goes down.

Bruce in alaska been there, engineer that, works good......
--
add a 2 before @