Paul

Default Wind or magnetism?

So I'm practicing docking into my slip and some other empty slips in the
marina. I'm taking into account wind and current, although the basin is
small and well protected so I can't really see current being much of an
issue, but wind certainly is.

So I'm docking in my slip and the wind is blowing me away from my neighbour
and into the side of my slip (is it called a finger?). But magically, my
boat is attracted to my neighbour's boat, seemingly at odds with the wind.

Fine, perhaps you'll tell me that it's the current.

So I move up a couple of slots and dock in another slip, this one with the
neighbouring boat on my lee side. The wind would seemingly blow me into the
boat and sure enough it does.

To summarize, my boat magically moves against the wind to drift me into my
neighbours boat and, just a couple of slips over, the exact same wind then
blows me in the complete opposite direction but again towards a neighbouring
boat.

Thus my theory. When boats are in the slip and hooked up to shore power they
become extremely powerful electromagnets capable of attracting fibreglass.

And no, I never actually hit any of these boats. I may suck at docking but I
suck at a very controllable, and very reversible, speed. Even considering
the huge magnetic force of these other boats seem to have.

Magnetism. That's my story and I'm sticking to it (no pun intended).