posted to rec.boats.paddle
Michael Daly Michael Daly is offline

Default canoe repair question - need help!

Glen wrote:

There are some pictures of it on http://howtofixthings.net/canoe.html
that show the areas that need repair and the extent of the damage.

I'm with Brian on this - you can do it if you have the time and want to learn how.

It isn't clear in the photos how much damage is done to the wood. If it's
seriously rotted under the fiberglass, it should be replaced and that
complicates things. Ditto the transom where the plywood is currently exposed.

I'd think of removing and replacing the seats, thwarts and gunwales.

If there is serious rot in the wood and the hull is glass laminated wood, it may
not be worth the effort to repair. Your time would be better spent making a new
canoe. I'm guessing it's an old chopped strand hull with wood reinforcement.
That would be easier to fix.

Mike