posted to rec.boats.paddle
Mike Lambert Mike Lambert is offline

Default Old Town Discovery Scout dent/bubble repair

Hello all

I'm new to this newsgroup having recently taken up canoeing on some British
rivers.

Its been fasinating to read of your canoeing adventures.

I have a problem with an Old Town Discovery Scout and if someone with
experience in repairing these boats could give me some advice I would be
very grateful.

The problem is that the inner skin has separated from the outer hull over a
circular region of about 6inches diameter. A bubble has formed that is about
1 inch high inside the canoe. The outer hull feels very much weaker at that
point than elsewhere. The outer hull has a deep dent there which disappears
when the canoe warms up in sunshine. The problem area is on the left hand
side about 6inches in front of the front seat.

I have taken the canoe down the river Wye in Wales UK without any major
problems even though the water level was low enough to turn the rapids into
rock slides, but I am concerned that repeated rough treament like this will
cause a split at the weak section of the hull.

I have ordered an Old Town Discovery repair kit. My plan is as follows:-

1. Cut out the bubble in the inner skin exposing the inside of the outer
hull.
2. Clean the inside of the exposed outer hull skin then polarise with a
propane torch
3. Clean the inside of the section of inner skin just removed
4. Coat the exposed outer hull with the resin from the repair kit then
replace the removed section of inner skin
5. Apply pressure to the repair by bracing it from a temporary thwart and
leave to set
6. Add a patch overlapping the repair area (on the inside of the canoe )
using the fibreglass cloth from the repair kit

If anyone has any pointers, advice, alternative solutions or warnings of any
potential pitfalls with this approach I would love to hear them. I've heard
that working with polyethylene hulls is not exactly straightforward and i
would hate to make the problem worse.

Thanks in anticipation

Mike