NOYB

Default Why need anchor chain?

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
The chain protects you in case you've dropped the anchor near something
which could cut the rope, like a rock or some sort of metal garbage. Since
an anchor could save your life under certain circumstances, the chain is
VERY cheap insurance.

I just lost a nice Fortress anchor yesterday because I don't think I had
enough chain on the line while trying to use an Anchor buoy retrieval
system. I started powering forward at a 30 degree angle to the line/anchor,
and the buoy normally pops it loose. In this case, the line apparently
dragged across some of the sharp relief (rocks ?) on the bottom and cut
through the rope like butter. I had on about 10 feet of chain...and now wish
it was 15 feet.