Doug Kanter

Default Why need anchor chain?

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
news:c3dhc2g=.2d69cea291ff00a9a27a6790524776f5@108 3604031.nulluser.com...
FredB wrote:

see http://www.johnsboatstuff.com/Articles/anchor.htm for an explanation
or

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...nchorrodes.htm

A reason some may not think of...

Chain adds to the weight of your anchor, so to speak, so if you are
anchoring in an area with wind or current, and you want to get the
anchor down to the bottom as quickly as possible so you end up anchored
near where you want to be, the chain helps sink the anchor, especially
if you are using a Danforth-style anchor.

Also: If you keep some very large plastic wire ties aboard, like the police
sometimes use in place of handcuffs, the chain provides a convenient series
of holes to which you can attach passengers who have become a problem.
"We've been fishing for almost 1/2 hour. When can we go home?"

Dunk.