posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring
Dan Koretz Dan Koretz is offline

Default Shoulder injury during roll

You do have to extend your arms to roll, but as Brian said, there should
not be much force on them. I'd add to his suggestions concentrating on
your hips. A roll should be mostly a hip snap. The sweep just gives
you a little purchase on the water to allow you to pull your hips
underneath you. If you are trying to pull yourself up with your arms,
you are putting too much force on them. And it does not work well anyway.

Another thing you might try is stretching before you paddle, if you
don't already. I used to get some pain rolling after I had shoulder
surgery, and I was able to get rid of most of it with one set of
stretches before starting. Lie flat on your back, with a short stick
(or your paddle, if you have room) between your hands. SLOWLY pull your
hands back over your head toward the ground, and hold them when you get
as far as you can comfortably. Repeat it a few times, and you will find
your arms comfortably extending further each time.

If you have already inflamed the joint, you will have to let it calm down.

Gene Cosloy wrote the following on 9/3/2006 11:53 AM:
A recent topic discussed the injury prone high brace. I recently
learned to roll doing the Pawlata or extended sweep roll. After
practice sessions involving up to a dozen rolls my right shoulder
really hurts. The set up under water is exactly the position everyone
warns against in the high brace: arms extended over the head elbows
above shoulder etc. So what gives- how do you protect your shoulder
during the roll? And no I don't think I can learn a hand roll anytime
soon! Any advise is appreciated.

Gene Cosloy