posted to rec.boats.paddle
Marsh Jones Marsh Jones is offline

Default OK, now I see what the deal is!

!Jones wrote:
On 3 Sep 2006 18:17:57 -0700, in rec.boats.paddle
wrote:

!Jones wrote:
wrote:

Devices like that are sold but I think you could just as well make your
own.
I'm not sure that I could build a similar device for under $300 ...
certainly not if I considered my labor.

Well, I don't know what your labor rate is. Two large blocks of
styrofoam. A few lengths of aluminum channel. Some aluminum plate to
glue to the styrofoam. Fasteners. Maybe an epoxy sealant to coat the
styrofoam with. A little more aluminum and some closed cell foam to
fashion an attachment scheme.

I'd guess that's about $150. Have you priced machine stock lately?
Then you have to have all of the parts anodized and that's about $10
per part with a $50 set-up. If I do it, then I'd cough up the $300, I
think.

We've just gotten our boat and the wife has her hand in a cast for the
next three weeks... arthritis surgery. Anyway, I want to spand a
little more time on the water before I buy any accessories. I'm
guessing that I'll order a set in the next few months... I'll let you
know what I think.

Jones

If you've just gotta go there, go he
http://www.canoegear.com/catalog/home.php

They make pretty good stuff, and at least you'll be buying from someone
fairly reputable.

MJ