posted to rec.boats.paddle
[email protected] galt_57@hotmail.com is offline

Default OK, now I see what the deal is!

!Jones wrote:
[...]
I think I'd opt for one of the solid foam devices on adjustable arms
such that may be raised & lowered as well as moved in and out. Maybe
something like these: http://www.castlecraft.com/stabilizers.htm That
same device is marketed under various names; I'm certain that there's
a single manufacturer.

Yeah, they're obviously not for everyone. WW crowd might sooner eat a
bug as even consider such an abomination... but for flat-water
paddlers... well, what are my trade-offs? I tend to think of safety
in terms of *gear*... I mean, left to my own tendencies. I know that
the ocean is bigger than anything I can go out and buy... didn't the
Titanic prove that? Given the type of use I describe, do you think
they'd be worth the investment?

Jones

Devices like that are sold but I think you could just as well make your
own. I don't mind the idea of outriggers and think they could make
sense for some people and weigh very little -- and never touch the
water until needed. The Ingham sponsons on the other hand are attached
with a strap under the boat, so you would not want to leave them in
place due to drag. They are a rescue device. What advantage they have
over a paddle float is questionable.