posted to rec.boats.electronics
Dave Baker Dave Baker is offline

Default AIS Position Error?

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 09:45:56 -0700, "Paul" wrote:

Thank you for this information. I don't know what equipment was used on the
ship I encountered, but this is a completely plausible explanation for what
I was seeing. Perhaps I will try to locate the ship owner and send them a
message -- it couldn't hurt!

If they are using the Furuno GP80 or GP90 it's quite likely. I found about
30% of vessels around here use those GPS models and about 1/3 of them were
"cheating" by putting their paper chart offsets into their GPS, thereby
causing the problem.

What port were you in when you discovered this problem?

It was Labuan, a small island off the coast of Borneo.

Dave