posted to rec.boats.building
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default wood boatdeck planking

Paul Fisher wrote:
What is the correct material to use between the deck planking on an
antique wooden boat. I have a 63 Thompson and there is some kind of
white caulk in-between the planking on the bow deck. some one has
shellacked over that, the shellac is coming up and I want to know
what I should replace it with and what I should then cove it with.

Are the planks caulked? That is, when the stopping (the white
material) is removed is there cotton caulking driven into the joint?

If not - and depending on what the wood is - I'd use polysulfide.

If there *is* cotton, you could still use polysulfide but it would be
a bear to remove should you need to recaulk (cotton). A traditional
stopping is basically putty and can be removed more easily with a
reefing iron...any boatyard has it.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...