posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising
Dennis Pogson Dennis Pogson is offline

Default AIS Miracle near Liverpool!

Larry wrote:
(Ronnie) wrote in :

From the site's 'maps' page, I clicked through to this map:
http://www.aisliverpool.org.uk/currentmap.php?map=33
but at the time of posting, there are no ships shown on it. Is that
because there are no ships there at the moment, or because the site
is (obviously) Liverpool oriented, and this map is outside the area
they want to cover?

I'm assuming he has a very high receiving antenna on a big tower near
Liverpool that can receive data from as far away as Ireland as I see
targets from over on that side. Maybe he has multiple receivers
around the Irish Sea linked to it, but I'm not sure.

I'd bet, watching the coverage for quite a while, now, there are no
ships broadcasting AIS from where you want to look. The coverage,
the linked realtime pictures taken when the AIS target passes in
front of his recording camera equipment stored on the website....it's
the best AIS coverage on the planet...even much better than the
subscription ripoff artists which only give limited coverage.

What a great donation he is making to the marine community, worldwide.

I have e-mailed a sailing friend who lives near Liverpool (a Liverpudlian!)
to see if he is aware of the site and if so can he describe the receiver(s)
and their height etc.

Dennis.