posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,uk.rec.sailing
Harbin Osteen Harbin Osteen is offline

Default Anyone care to guess ?

This could be a cockpit light that had a bulb burn out, and the
bulb may have been replaced with a lower wattage bulb that
fits the same socket.

--

SeeYaa Harbin Osteen KG6URO

When American Citizens with dual citizenship pledges allegiance
to the flag, to which flag do they pledge allegiance too?

-

tdw wrote in message ...
Hello,
Recently purchased a 20 year old steel sloop. With it came a bunch of stuff that the previous (second) owner had never used,
indeed was blissfully unaware of the intended purpose for most of it. As the months have gone by I've managed to identify
virtually everything but one item remains unidentified.
It is - a circular housing (approx 50mm diameter) in which is a tiny light globe (I can't read the wattage but by the look of it
no more than one watt) which is connected to a three - four metre long cable with a two pin plug (for a 12v outlet) on the end.
The housing itself is then enclosed by a removeable piece of red glass. I suppose it could be intended for use as a cockpit light
that won't harm night vision but the output seems far too low for it be effective although the length of cable is about right to
cover the distance from power outlets at the nav station to the instrument binnacle in the cockpit.
Soooooo....what we have is a red light of impossibly small output , presumably meant for cockpit use given the length of cable and
with no discernable reason for existence.
Any thoughts ?
Anyone ?
I live in hope
TDW