posted to rec.boats.electronics
Ronnie Ronnie is offline

Default PDA with GPS used as NMEA source for DSC?

On 31 Aug 2006 05:42:32 -0700, wrote:

I recently got my hands on a HW-6915.

[snip a user summary]

Thanks for the very useful experience review

Alternatively you could run
it in its charger cradle, tho' it wants AC power. (HP may sell a 12VDC
charger, but I dunno)

I was planning on using HP or 3rd party 'carkit' sort of thing.

It's tempting, remembering the chap on another
thread who's using a wireless LAN to interconnect his laptop, GPS,
echosounder, autohelm, wife, etc to think that you could link it to
other devices using its own WLAN radio

I hadn't found that thread - I'll read it now

The cabling provided with it ends in a USB plug, but note that the
socket on the device is not a standard USB port - nor is it a standard
mini-USB port - it is something peculiar, so you will need to use the
cradle if you want to connect any other gadgets to it like that.

This is the bit I'm really unsure about - how to convert that to NMEA.

Also, can you see whether the unit has an option to route the GPS info
to two destinations at once - (a) the map/chart, and (b) the DSC radio
over a serial port?

best wishes,
Ron