posted to rec.boats.building
P.C. Ford P.C. Ford is offline

Default hesitant buyer of wooden boat

On 20 Aug 2006 18:29:31 -0700, "floydo" wrote:

Hello,
I have recently found an old (1960's?) Penn Yan boat, I think
about 21 ft. Under the false floor I can see that the ribs are rotting
as there is 1/2" of standing water in the boat. It looks to me like the
work to restore this and actually float it would be endless, though it
is a real beauty.
I've done some rough carpentry before, but never anything of this
magnitude, and would not know where to start.
I would like to know where I might get some comprehensive
expertise on what this sort of restoration would entail, including the
replacement of ribs and cedar stripping, and other possible
alternatives for making the hull sound.
I haven't bought the boat yet and am now leaning toward walking
away, as the work seems pretty overwhelming.
Thanks for any and all suggestions.
Floydo.

I restore boats like the one you are looking at professionally. I've
done speedboat repair for 30 years.

Many of the answers you have received are bs.

1. Get someone that is knowledgable to look at the boat. Pay him if
you have to.

2. Make a list of the items that need to be done.

3. Decide if you want to do the project.

Steam-bent frames can be replace fairly easily, but deck planking has
to be removed. My guess that it needs to be replaced anyway.

It's great to have a good looking wooden boat. If you don't want one
you can always buy a nasty plastic boat like the nay sayers have.