otnmbrd

Default Common Sense

Charles T. Low wrote:
Good reminder. How far a large ship has to be in order for a recreational
boat to put itself in its path and still be "safe" must often be a matter of
judgement. Along the Brockville Narrows, boats calmly scatter before a
freighter, but I don't think a two-mile limit is practical.

G I will always "spout" the "two mile rule", knowing full well that in
many Inland waters it is not only impracticable but also impossible to
adhere to.
The point being, to try to think along those lines and attempt to
maximize your distance from a ship, especially as it regards crossing
ahead (if you can't clear ahead by 2 miles, don't cross, wait and go
astern).

BTW, if you are passing a ship in a narrow channel, try to maximize your
distance off when abeam, but, if you have shoal water close to the edge
of the channel, stay well clear of it, as that ship will tend to pull
the water off that shoal as it passes.

otn