posted to rec.boats.building
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default Is it better for me to build or buy. Please someone help me!!!

scbafreak via BoatKB.com wrote:
Have you checked mooring fees? Taxes?
"Everyone" is right. My guesstimate - a wild one - would be
$150,000 to $250,000. Here is a site that discusses both time and
$$ but it is for multi-hull boats. Given the number of owner
built ply cats that used to be around I'd think a mono hull would
require more of both $$ & time.
http://www.f-boat.com/pages/costs.html

All of this is still less than buying a house. Median cost of a
house in O.C. is currently 600K and in five years it will be even
more.

Ah, but in five years all of us - except retirees such as myself -
will be earning more. Isn't government induced inflation grand?

Long Beach is not any better. If I keep the boat there I
realize there will be fees but is that more expensive than owning a
house? Is it more expensive if I can pull of the uild without any
loans at all and maybe only taking out a loan for spars sails
rigging and some electronic equipment if at all?

I realize housing in CA - and other areas including Honolulu which is
the reason I left - is ridiculous. I feel safe in saying you could
build a hell of a boat for less than a junky house would cost you in
CA. However, that POS house will increase in price - price, not
value - over the coming inflation-is-a-way-of-life years. A boat
might too but I kinda doubt it.

I also forgot to mention stuff like hull insurance and maintenance.
Forty years ago I was living in Honolulu and in much the same position
as you are now...even then, houses were expensive there and I didn't
want any I could afford. I didn't build a boat, bought an older one
and wife, dog and I lived on it for 10 years. Took a lot of $$ and
time but I liked it (more than did the wife). For that time and money
we had a living area - in a 42' ketch - that wasn't much bigger than a
tract house guest bedroom. We each had our very own but small hanging
locker though. One learns to simplify...

Oh yeah...hull insurance and maintenance. I don't recall what
insurance was - been too long ago - but it wasn't cheap. Maintenance
& dry dock fees ran me the equivalent of $10,000 - $12,000 per year.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...