Wayne.B

Default what to do in a swamped boat in a storm?

On 13 Aug 2003 14:24:43 -0700, (pb) wrote:
Thanks, all, for the info and the good advice. Another question, then.
We got swamped when I tried to go around a little peninsula to get to
a relatively calm cove which was close to our position. But to get to
the cove I had turn sideways to the waves, and that was not good. But
turning or quartering into the waves would have taken us further out
from shore, away from the cove, to the open water.

So it seems my choices at that point, before we were swamped, we 1)
try to get to the cove, which I did and it failed; 2) turn into the
wind and head away from shore or 3) beach it on the near side of the
little peninsula, where I ended up beaching anyway.

Any advice on that?

Turning from upwind to downwind in large steep waves is a dangerous
maneuver and best avoided as you found out. If you really have to
make the turn, try to pick your spot carefully and maneuver between
waves as best you can. You might have been able to avoid trouble by
trimming the bow up a bit and motoring SLOWLY into the waves at an
angle. If things get really nasty however there's no guarantee even
that will work out safely. Open bow boats are particulary vulnerable
and by far the best cure is prevention. On balance though I think you
did the right thing once you were swamped. Lives are much more
important than boats, capsizing was a very real possibility that would
have greatly increased the danger, and you don't have much time to
make these decisions. Well done in my opinion except for being
"caught out" in the first place, and we've all had that happen.