Reginald P. Smithers III Reginald P. Smithers III is offline

Default Despite fuel prices, towboat captains report no general nationwidedecrease in boating

JohnH wrote:
On 29 Aug 2006 11:42:51 -0700, "Chuck Gould"
wrote:

Harry Krause wrote:

My observation is that it is way down from last season here on the
"western" shore.

And mine would be that people are still using their boats about as
often as ever in the Pacific NW, but making shorter trips and operating
at slower speeds. (Except some of the big block gas burners; a lot of
the older boats with a pair of twin 454's belong to normal, everyday
working guys and you know they have to be walloped in the wallet just
trying to keep some of those older boats up on plane....)

According to the folks at my marina, the boating hasn't slowed
significantly, if at all. Weekend before last there were as many boats at
my favorite 'boater's beach' as last year.
***** Hope your day is great! *****

John

I see less boats cruising, and more boats anchored or beached enjoying
the water. People used to run from one end of the lake to the other in
their large houseboats and 50' yackts, just to sightsee, they now are
being a little more frugal. The smaller runabouts are still as busy as
ever with skiers and toys. The coves close to the large marinas fill up
early on the weekends. "Cocktail Cove" is a busy as ever.