posted to rec.boats.building
James James is offline

Default how to make launching wheels for small boat????

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

Per sandy:
We're going to be heading down to Baja in a couple months and plan
to bring our 10' inflatable boat along. It weights somewhere
around 100 lbs and I'm planning on launching it over the beach. My
problem is that hubby had a stroke a few years ago and I'll have to
do it myself. I'm hoping to add some wheels to the transom to make
launching easier. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions or web
sites w/plans??? I already bought 2 10" (inflatable) tires from
harbor freight. Thanks!

Any idea how the surface will be down here?

Hard wheels sink into soft sand - making them extremely difficult to
manage.

Take a look at the various big/soft tire solutions at
http://www.roleezonline.com.

The PWC dolly has the square feet, but the one I use is
a 20+ year-old version of the RZ-CKT Canoe Kayak Tote. On it, I
carry a 30-lb surf kayak, medium-sized picnic cooler full of
food/drink for 3-4 people, a beach chair, and various odds-and-ends
over extremely soft New Jersey beach sand. It just floats over the
bumps/valleys

If you can fit the boat on something like this, I'd think it would be
preferable because it folds up into a reasonably compact size.

I just added to wheels to our 12' Quicksilver inflatable. I epyoxied
two pieces of HDO (High Density Overlay) outdoor sign material to the
transom so I didn't have to screw into it. In to these I embeded four
SS bolts. I made steel mounts for the wheels that I can remove, I'm a
retired welded and fitter, so I can mount the fish finder transducer in
place of the wheels. Worked out pretty slick. Jim