posted to rec.boats.building
Glenn Ashmore Glenn Ashmore is offline

Default How to store integral gas fuel tank during work?

"Empty" is a lot more dangerous that full. Gasoline vapors can remain in a
good enough concentration to explode for a long time. The sure way to purge
the tank is to fill it with water to overflowing and then drain it. Any
remaining traces of gas will float on top and overflow first. If you can't
purge and drain it completely that way open the inspection port and drop in
some absorbent pads for a couple of days. Retrieve the pads and blow air
over it for a couple of days to vent the remaining vapors. (use a spark
proof fan.)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

wrote in message
Hello;

I have acquired a small runabout that needs some work. Gonna work on
upholstery, etc. for the next winter, and perhaps longer... :-)

She runs OK at present, and has an integral gas fuel tank in the floor.

I can run the engine dry, then fog it and leave it, so not much problem
there.

How shall I 'store' the tank, given I don't know the length of time
involved,
and want to stay safe as well.

If I was sure it was just the winter, then full of gas with stabil added
would
be fine, but there is a possibility that it won't be done by then. :-)

Would 'empty' be better then?
Thanks for any advice.
sdg