posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.racing
DSK DSK is offline

Default Sport boat?

Martin Schöön wrote:
Simple question:

What is a sport boat?
or
What is the 'definition' of sport boat?

There are a number of rules of thumb that some clubs &
regatta organizers use to decide what is & what is not a
sportboat, but so far there is not really a concise
technical definition.

Looking at them 'from a distance' I think I have gathered
that a J 24 is not a sport boat but both J 80 and Melges 24
are. How come? Because they plane more readily?

J-24 SA/D=22.6 D/L=145
J-80 SA/D=26.6 D/L=122
Melges 24 SA/D=32.1 D/L=73

How small can a sport boat be without becoming a dinghy?

I think part of the definition is that it has to be
self-righting, hence the bulb keels.

How big? Is a Melges 30 still regarded as a sport boat?

Definitely yes!

Could a multuhull be a sport boat or is that too blasphemous?

I dunno about blasphemy, but why would you want to race
against multis against monos? There only be a small amount
of fun in winning, like defeating a ten year old at chess or
judo; and imagine the ignominy of (don't even think it!) one
might lose.

If the performance ratios were the main guide, then most
multihulls would easily qualify IMHO.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King