posted to rec.boats.building
[email protected] dbohara@mindspring.com is offline

Default how to make launching wheels for small boat????

Wm Watt wrote:
Here's another suggestion if wheels are too thin. Add more wheels to
spread the load, like the double wheels on tractor-trailers. Sometimes
by turning rims around there is enough room to add another using same
lug nuts.

I just went to Lowes and bought two of the largest diameter lawn mower
wheels I could to make a dolly to launch my MiniCup sailboats. The
wheels are only about 1.5" wide and the boats weigh about 150 lbs or
more. Wheeling them over soft sand is no problem so I think most of
the discussion of this is pointless.

So, go to Lowes, get a 1/2" piece of steel rod for an axle ( I got a
hollow piece). Fasten it to the bottom of a 2X4" with another longer
2X4" as a cross piece that goes under the keel. A piece of tubular
webbing goes around the boat and holds it to the 2X4". The wheels sit
under the transom so you have leverage for picking it up at the bow.
You just grab the handle at the bow and whell it around. Really easy.