Jack Goff Jack Goff is offline

Default OT Glad for Vonage!

On 25 Aug 2006 07:37:45 -0700, "basskisser"
wrote:

Jack Goff wrote:

Learn to express yourself more clearly. You wrote about VoIP: "The
signal goes out of your house just exactly as it does with a
landline."

The signal does not "go out of your house" in the same manner for
landline and VoIP at all. They use completely different transport
protocols and media.

My signal for my security system goes through the same exact wiring in
my house as it always has. My VOIP system is hooked seamlessly to those
same exact wires. Hence, the security system signal is through those
exact same wires.

Inside your house, the signal is the same. When it "goes out of your
house", the signal is *completely* different.

Of course, you realize that the alarm system is nothing but a modem,
and that VoIP is ill-suited for transporting modem signals. While it
may work today, there is absolutely no guarantee that it will work
tonight or tomorrow. If Vonage tweaks the codec they are using, or
the internet has some delay or dropped packets when the alarm tries to
connect, your intruder alert fails. There's no guarantee of delivery
of IP packets for VoIP. Your ear can deal with lots of dropped
packets when ordering pizza. The alarm modem can not.

Never, ever had a problem. My security company does a weekly test,
every Wednesday afternoon, it's always passed.

That's simply not true. Two problems with that statement:

1. A home monitoring company does not initiate a test. They can't.
If they tried, it would have to be by dialing your home number and
letting the alarm system answer, then doing a handshake. That's
simply not possible, as alarm systems don't do that. Something else,
like a person or an answering machine, would likely answer the call
first. The alarm box does not answer the phone.

2. In another post, you identified Brinks as being your alarm service
provider. Well guess what, I use Brinks as well. The Brinks alarm
panel clearly indicates to "Test Weekly See Owner's Manual".
Furthermore, you test it by pressing the "Options" button five times
until "Test" is displayed, the entering your code. The system
initiates a test that includes calling into the service, then sounds
the alarm horn momentarily after the test. This is the operation of
the deluxe panel, the basic panel may be different.

If you really had a Brinks alarm, I suspect you'd know all of this.