posted to rec.boats.paddle
Wm Watt Wm Watt is offline

Default Shortening a kayak?

Michael Daly wrote:
You don't get it, you never will. I'm a structural engineer and I know bad
designs when I see them. Asymmetric joint construction is not good design.

Gee, I got an "A" in engineering math at the UofT but note of that is
relevant to the discussion. You've never tried splicing a kayak or any
other boat, have you? What we see here is the triumph of theory over
practice and knowledge over experience.

You do what you want. But don't advise others to do what is widely regarded as
bad design and construction.

That's a piece of advice I'm not about to take.
I've read over 50 boatbulding books, including books on scantlings and
strengths of materials and on boat repair, done a lot of calculations,
used and wrote boatbulidng computer programs, and tried a lot of
different things, some of which did not work out.
Butt joins are nowher condsidered bad desing or construction. Testing
shows teh opposite. People can do their own test. Butt join two panels
and then bend the result until it breaks (deforms in technical lingo).
On plywood panels with epoxy adhesive the plywood breaks before the
butt join. It's stronger than the rest of the hull. People can decide
for themselves who they want to listen to.

I've seen Michael's website which I like. (It's not about boat repair.)
We've disagreed before, because he's been wrong before.

Mike