posted to rec.boats.building
Ron Magen Ron Magen is offline

Default Help re Mast Spar Varnish

What Lew said . . .

However, I would test THIS varnish, first. If it is a 'true' SPAR {long oil}
varnish, it will never really cure. This means while it WILL protect the
wood {or epoxy}, it will be always soft & 'sticky' - especially in your
temperatures. A 'short oil' varnish, with UV additives would cure HARD.

Since you seem to have the McCloskey 'on-hand', just give a chunk of scrap a
couple of coats & put it outside for a week or so. If it's still seems soft
& very slightly 'tacky' at noon, . . . there's your answer. West Marine
'house brand' is what I typically use. However there are a number of others.
In fact, there is a new item, from Minwax I believe, that should be on the
Home Depot shelf. It SPECIFICALLY states, ' . . . with UV additives for
EXTERIOR use . . .', or some such.

I also have some 'Man-O-War' on the shelf . . . for home trim projects. I've
known about the brand all my life. Just LOVE the name.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Josephi Marsdon" wrote in message
I have some McCloskey "Man-o-War" that I want to use
on porch handrails for a handicapped man. We live in
the desert where daytime temps are generally over 100
degrees F for 3-4 months of the year (up to 118 degrees),
and down to 10 degrees F in the winter for 1-2 months
(has been down to 0 degrees F in the past).

How many coats should I put on so the varnish doesn't
flake off?

Josephi