Reginald P. Smithers III Reginald P. Smithers III is offline

Default OT Glad for Vonage!

Gene Kearns wrote:
On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 11:14:11 -0400, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:

Gene,
What personal experience leads you to believe Vonage can not reliably
carry voice communications? I am not really a "techie", but I would
think Vonage's quality would be a direct correlation to the quality of
your ISP or am I missing something?

I installed Vonage and it took about three days to get it going... and
I suppose it just fixed itself.....

I couldn't get a "phone" light, so I called tech (non)support and
attempted in my best American/farci/hindi to communicate the problem.

To make a L-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-N-G story short, through all of the levels
of foreign tech (non)support, all they could suggest to fix the
problem was to unplug the power cord to the cable modem and the vonage
modem, wait, and reconnect. They always managed to stall longer than
my cell phone batteries would last. American tech support (higher
levels) could "see" the modem, saw no reason it shouldn't work, and
could only offer the same plug-unplug scenario.

So, I was ready to take the whole mess back where I got it and
miraculously it started working! When it worked, it worked well... and
it *was* affordable.

After a few months we had a power glitch and we went through the same
scenario we endured when we first bought the modem. Again, another
miracle and it started working.

Then we had the stutter tone indicating we had voice messages get
stuck and they suggested.... see this coming? Unplug-plug.... and the
phone went down again. Same scenario.

Another electrical glitch and the same scenario.... except after 2
weeks it still didn't work. After, literally, hours of unplugging and
plugging I finally asked one of the highest level techs what the hell
he though would be different about unplug-plug *THIS* time if it
didn't work the last 200 times.... "Sir, if you would just unplug...."

I resolved to dump vonage.....Now enter the next level of idiocy

I called Road Runner and had them port my number. We made an
appointment for installation that was 3 weeks in the future. 3 weeks?
"Yes," they said, "it takes Vonage extra time to port numbers. We
don't know why but it will take every bit of three weeks." Well, it
actually took Vonage extra, extra time and we had to reschedule
because Vonage had not yet released the number. It took 4 weeks to the
day...

RoadRunner came, made an installation and we have had flawless service
since. The vonage nightmare over with? Not by a long shot....

We kept being billed by vonage and we find that our account is still
"active." Ported, now, mind you, impossible to receive service, but
active.... Now, we find that service can only be cancelled by calling
a special number.... which (surprise) is always busy (but they'll let
you hold) and is not 24/7. After dozens of calls, my wife finally got
through and after holding (collectively) for hours, they gave us a lot
of grief, but finally closed the account. They had no real explanation
for keeping an account alive without a telephone number nor for not
closing the account when a number is ported.

If they work for you, great. I think they suck out loud.

This service was recommended on a radio show called "The Clark Howard
Show." I called the show, explained the problem, and was told that I
would be contacted to give more particulars. Never heard another word.
Apparently, at least as far as vonage is concerned, Clark Howard also
has a customer no-service policy.....

.....go figure.....
--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC. http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/
-----------------

Gene,
I am curious, how long ago was this disaster with Vonage? I listen to
Clark Howard and I know the love to jump all over any company that is
not providing good service. Based upon your history, I would not be
making any changes in the near future. I am glad my history has been
the exact opposite. It was the Clark Howard Show that made me even
think about making the change, they have had users calling in for months
talking about the quality and the ease of set up. I think it was Bassy
and and a few others in rec.boats that convinced me to try it. With the
30 day free trial period, it was a painless way to 'test" VOIP. I
didn't port over my phone number until I was comfortable with the
quality of the line and Vonage overall service.