Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Sighting of R/V Tioga

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 07:08:03 -0400, Jeff wrote:

Wayne.B wrote:
On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 21:05:02 -0400, Jeff wrote:

I was sitting on the Edgartown town dock finishing some
fish 'n chips when the R/V Tioga from Woods Hole tied up.

Is there any WiFi internet service in Edgartown this year?

I don't know about Edgartown, we're on a mooring in Vineyard Haven now
and my Linksys-G card is not picking up any signal. I've been using
my Blackberry as a modem - not broadband, but a bit faster than
dialup. A nice thing about the 'berry is that we can get the nexrad
radar on the screen while we're ashore, so we know if someone has to
rush back to close the hatches! Its also easy to use at the helm so I
can read newsgroups while driving. So far this summer, I've had a
good signal everywhere we've been in MA: Salem Bay, Cape Ann, P-Town,
Buzzards Bay, and now the Vineyard, plus almost all of the time in
transit. The only quirk is that I can't FTP or do other non-HTML
transfers; I'll have to talk to t-mobile about that. I wonder if
Catherine Zeta-Jones is working the support lines?

Thanks. We had no luck with WiFi connectivity in either Vineyard
Haven or Edgartown last year but Edgartown was rumored to be working
on something for the future. Unfortunately I need a broadband
connection if I'm working from the boat.